Sunday, April 12, 2009

A good article about physics crackpots


I almost skipped right over this article, How I found glaring errors in Einstein's calculations, because "Cognition and Culture" didn't sound like something I could possibly be interested in.

But it's in the same vein as Baez's crackpot index and 'T Hooft's How to become a bad theoretical physicist. If you like that kind of thing you will probably like this.


The author, Pascal Boyer, says

Most physics crackpots are engineers. More than 95% of my sample boast engineering degrees, or combine an undergraduate maths/physics degree followed by an engineering PhD or equivalent. This is not too surprising, as this may be the only kind of cursus that provides one with enough math background to understand the equations and formulae in the textbooks without actually studying maths and physics - which would show the crackpot why he’s misguided.


I never thought of that, but it is true of both El Naschie and Dan Winter. They both have PhDs in engineering disciplines.

El Naschie was mentioned in the blog comments, which is how I stumbled across it in a routine Google search. Naturally I have added my two cents to the comments there.

Translate English to Arabic


محمد النشائي El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائي
محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائي

StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

  1. Jason, could you perhaps split up the main page into smaller pieces? I don't have time to load this 10 mb monster each time :)
    great job anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me look through the blogger settings and see what the options for breaking it up are.

    ReplyDelete