Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Text from the Birthday Book

Our newest archive.

As it happens, the limited preview that Google Books puts on line to tempt you into buying it contains the only interesting parts. No one could possibly want to read the papers.

Here it is, laboriously screencapped; OCRed; and manually cleaned up. There are still a lot of errors but it's readable and searchable.


Foreword

My first sighting of Mohamed was in a picturesque little village in Switzerland. We had agreed to meet in a parking lot, and as I sat in my car waiting, I noticed a little yellow jeep tearing down the mountain side at high speed. Assuming the driver to be a teenager, I was surprised when the jeep screeched to a halt beside me and a handsome and distinguished looking man leapt out and greeted me warmly. Grinning boyishly, Herr Professor addressed me as 'Fractal Man', chided me for taking so long to cross the alps to meet him, and bade me follow him up the hill to my hotel. In the ensuing high-speed chase I taxed the limits of my little car to keep Mohamed insight. Twice I had to back rapidly out of a cul-de-sac to avoid being run over by my host, who was clearly enjoying the drive, if not entirely certain of where he was going. The route eventually revisited the parking lot we had started front, and by the time we reached the hotel I had absorbed the charms and ambiance of the little village, having traversed most of its streets and alley ways at least once. When the dust had settled and I was safely installed in my hotel, my genial host invited me over to discuss physics. It was a fantastic evening that I shall never forget. My own work was not well known and was very much outside the mainstream. l had travelled my own path for fifteen years and considered I knew every rock, pebble and fallen branch on the route I had taken. I was also familiar with trying to entice colleagues into the uncharted territory that my trail explored. It was usually a painful and unrewarding process. Physicists tend to be conservative, preferring the tidy well-kept routes of a civilized hierarchy. Anticipating the usual reluctance, I was surprised that my mischievious friend not only offered no resistance to exploring my path, he leaped over me like a gazelle and took off along the route in what I thought to be indecent haste. In vain I tried to slow him down, pointing out this treasured rock, that carefully assembled marker. But, as all who are lucky enough to have discussed physics with Mohamed will know, resistance is futile. Listening to Mohamed gambol along what I considered 'my path' was a revelation indeed. Mohamed never ambles, he leaps. The added height of those leaps allows hint to see many things hidden to the average traveller. Although I knew and treasured the local details that Mohamed would cross in a single bound, I had never seen the surrounding country that he was able to see. Mohamed embedded my one-dimensional path in a landscape of higher dimension, and more intricate beauty. That landscape was riddled with the ideas and paths of many people, all woven into a coherent fabric by a gifted raconteur. Like the trip up the mountain to the hotel, I was thoroughly stretched to follow his enthusiastic pace, but in the process I saw the beauty of an inspired synthesis of ideas that would have otherwise been beyond my vision. Science is, in the end, a process of exploration. Few people have the combined talents and circumstances to explore more than a small patch of well-charted ground. One needs the intuition that is the scientist's compass, the knowledge and imagination that is his spy-glass, the technical skill to travel swiftly and safely, and finally the courage to visit, alone if necessary, territory that, is overlooked or spurned by colleagues. Mohamed has all of these qualities in larger-than-life measure.

This special issue is from a few friends who rejoice in, and benefit from the inspiration of Mohamed's passion for Physics. It is a small but affectionate salute to our favourite Editor/Explorer-in-chief, on the occasion of his 60th birthday.

Garnet Ord
Toronto
October 5, 2003


Cracking the Enigma of Space-Time

We all live in the yellow submarine in the age of the telematic revolution. This is also the age in which science and art come close together again, closer than at any other epoch since pre-paleolithic times. This time around, the unified view is no longer reserved to the caste of shamans and berdachs, however, but is perceived by everybody to be an inalienable right. The reunification lies right around I he corner. Gödel, Turing, the computer and the DVD have created a new reality and riddle at the same time: To see ourselves imprinted into the fabric of the brick wall, like a human shadow burned into the ground after an atomic flash Gödel's frightening insight. It deserves to be elucidated further as long as it is still fresh in our minds. This book brings together in one place some of the most dedicated workers in this new no-man's awl nomads land, all gathered to honor one of the most prolific minds in the Gödelian realm of the transfinite - Mohamed El Naschie. The symposium held at the Karlsruhe Media Lab in October 2003 paid tribute to the "cosmic computation" (David Finkelstein) initiated by this multifaceted fractal mind. His closest co-voyagers. Garnet Ord and Laurent Nottale, share with him the conviction t hat a path-integral-like view of the quantum enigma holds t he key to a deeper understanding of the cosmos. The mark imposed by this approach on high-energy physics it was El Naschie's privilege to discover. An infinite-dimensional Cantor dust is according to this view - the real fabric of nature. Being part of this 'dust" (which despite its infinite dimensionality retains some biblical connotations) contracts you into becoming, in your own eyes, a three-dimensional body made up of particles in a 4-dimensional space- time. Carl-Friedrich von Weizsäcker 's early challenge to explain why space has three dimensions and time has one, encouraged by Pauli and Weyl, has come closer to its resolution to date in the hands of this scientist. Not only the visible (and invisible string-theoretic) dimensionalities of space become deducible; even the fine structure constant itself and also the muon-electron mass ratio (to mention only one among many) can for the first time be predicted with infinite precision. "Thinking transfinite" in the spirit of Mandelbrot and the pre-Socratic philosopher Anaxagoras, the inventor of chat is theory who was not far from the ancient Egyptian tradition, proves amazingly successful to date. The only question not yet addressed in this book of laudatory contributions is: why is this so? 'We have no solid ground under our feet as is well known. There is almost nothing but emptiness as if one were looking down front an orbiting spaceship all alone. Why does the fractal dust qualify as so solid a basis despite the fact that it is virtually nothing but holes, holes within holes, and so in infinitely many dimensions'? We - the present introductory writers - have asked this question to Mohamed. Two possible answers took shape in the 3-D sounding board situation between the three of us, punctured by his laughter. Both are not mutually exclusive. The first is "faith." Clear thinking in physics (and elsewhere) is not possible without an absolute faith in a benevolence-beyond that is the hallmark of religion, its Einstein never tired to repeat in one way or the other. The real riddle is "assignment" - someone (who?) is being given a place in a universe of consciousness and, within it, a universe of structures dust as far as we can now tell. There is no water to swim in, in this medium. Science itself is only concerned with the least lively, shadow-like aspect - the Cartesian relations. All that we have to cling to is an interface (and the latter exists only for one moment, the now, which may turn out to be indestructible). When carefully poking through the meshes, we find other meshes in an infinite-dimensional continuum of holes, as it were. This is the quantum reality which now turns out to cover, not just the states of molecules and nuclei, but also everything below that level, even though nothing was thought to exist below that level until quite recently. The string flute itself is made of dust! This reality at the same time extends to the largest structures in the universe: There is nothing but voids beyond voids in all directions, both upstairs and downstairs (the scale relativity of Nottale). The path integral is weaving together lumps and dimensions and strings: Feynman's many paths extend the submicroscopic to the heavens. This unusual vision, borne out of faith in the determining force of the fragrance-giving instance, is the organizing center of this book. But there is a second insight arrived at in the above-mentioned sounding board situation. If the quantum riddle is so pervasive that even the rigid curtains of space and time are fractured and fractalized into infinitely many pieces and dimensions: could it be that this very fact can be explained once more on a higher level? While many of El Naschie's string-theorist followers would he reluctant to seriously ponder the existence of an even more fundamental (exo) level of nature, the originator himself is not afraid of such a scenario. The interface view - the media-theoretic paradigm - likewise calls for the presence of a more outside level. Good old Boltzmannian rationalism - classical determinism may (just may) still be lurking behind the infinitely complexified quantum world. While the great successes of Mohamed's let the desire for such a rationalist picture, in the footsteps of 18th century physicist and Jesuit priest Roger Joseph Boscovich, appear outdated at first sight, the revival of the interface idea in our current age of the computer game and telepresence (even after death) calls for a synthesis. There is always a hidden level as the present book itself is living proof of. The dust of letters contained in it, owes its existence to a hidden level: Lydia [Lydia Thorsen was El Naschie's wife at the time, and is the mother of his children] and Reimara [Rössler's wife] inaugarated [sic] it, and Anke [Anke Boehm or Böhm] made the symposium possible, Science is friendship just as art is friendship. Every user of an art museum pretends he or she does not see it is a joke. But everybody knows that art is a joke. Just as the smile of the toddler is, when he returns that of Mom's with his own unique mischievous grin. But then there is a second level on which the mutual pretense is transformed into genuine closeness of an infinitely reliable kind. Art is a smile that can be relied upon. The world, too, can smile, and so in infinitely many dimensions. Let us see whether the smile of Mohamed comes through in the splintered ramified reflections that await you in the following pages.

Peter Weibel and Otto E. Rössler
Karlsruhe
November 6, 2004


Symposium Announcement

On the occasion of the 60th birthday of Mohamed El Naschie the ZKM is organizing a symposium on "Space-Time Physics, Transfinite Mathematics and Computer Art". Mohamed El Naschie was successful in deriving a model for the so-called multifractal space-time which allows to predict the mass of elementary particles and derive universal constants. The derivation of these constants is not possible through the "standard model" which is why the physicists search for extensions or modifications of this theory. The conference deals with problems of this kind and includes thereby new and controversially debated approaches. It also includes mathematical considerations that propose them-selves to be fruitfully used within space-time physics. Additionally, the symposium addresses the attempt to use artistic approaches to gain knowledge on space-time and it is dicussed [sic] which connections between physics and art exist.

Hans Diebner, Peter Weibel, Otto E. Rössler
Karlsruhe, October 2003


Recollections
by Amr Elnashai

On his 60th birthday, Mohamed El Naschie (or El Nashie, or Elnashie, or Elnashai, depending on whom you believe amongst the three brothers and their father regarding how each have decided to spell his peculiar surname in English) is as productive, prolific and vigorous as anyone on God's earth. After considerable pondering, I decided to offer this short article in lieu of a technical paper. The reasons are many, some are a cause of constant argument between Mohammed and I, in the most congenial manner possible between two El Naschies, or El Nashaies or Elnashies or, finally, Elnashais (the latter is of course the right spelling!!). First and foremost, the only subject which I can write about authoritatively, and some would consider this to be a stretch, is earthquake engineering. If I do so, I will have to endure a length and well- rehearsed, and oft-received, lecture on how narrow I am, having spent more than half a life-time researching earthquake response of structures and exploring the intriguing relationship between ground motion characteristics and response of complex structural systems, I have not cracked it yet. But my brother believes that I suffer from total lack of imagination and technological flatness because I do not change disciplines every ten years. A colleague of mine just the other day criticized a young faculty recruit because he wrote a paper on scaling of earthquake records for structural analysis purposes, because he 'has not been trained in engineering seismology and related fields'. I would love to lock up the said colleague wit h Professor El Naschie, or ..., and reveal to the former that the latter was trained as a structural engineer, and is now a pinnacle of nuclear and particle physics, amongst other things. So, once again, one man's terrorist is the other man's freedom fighter. To my dear UIUC (this is the acronym of my beloved employer, the University of Illinois at God-Forsaken Urbana-Champaign, the best technical institution that there is, located on the most boring spot in the Universe, and beyond) colleague, I have demonstrated clear signs of insanity, coupled with recklessness and lack of appreciation of the intricacies of science and technology, and disciplinary boundaries, merely because I cross-publish!! "To my dear brother Mohamed I am conservative, unimaginative, lack technical confidence and certainly missed on audacity when they were distributing some.

He, Mohamed, is indeed brilliant, but all those who will read my article know that already. He is versatile and is a visionary, but these are characteristics that, all those who meet him conclude that he enjoys. So, what is new from his kid brother? My recollections of him when I was about 8 years old are numerous and rather entertaining. He is the best narrator of films I know of. The films he narrated to me stick in my mind and soon after I cannot say for sure if I listened to him narrating the film or did I see it in the theatre? My son, Shadie, thinks I am good at telling tales. Well, I am but a drop in Mohammed' [sic] ocean of impressions, background ambiance and ability to whisk the listener to where the action took place, virtually. I also recall him as rather eccentric, strict and very funny. As I grew older, I grew closer to our middle brother who, notwithstanding our current predicament, was a terrific older brother. I continued though to say that although I do not see Mohammed much, I admire him from a distance; whilst I could not afford the same admiration to our middle brother Saiid, who really looked after me and helped me grow up. At the age of 12 I went to Germany and spent Christmas and New Year with Mohammed at 10 Schmidt Strasse, Hannover, Germany. The three weeks were to change my life and outlook. I will not go into what happened in Hannover so many years ago lest this volume be censored for violation of British decency laws. Suffices it to say that I decided to stay in Germany. When Mohammed mentioned this to our father on the phone, the latter threatened to contact the Egyptian Consulate and bring me back by force! He is kind, our father, he did not know what awaited him from the third in line of the El Naschie trio. I went back after a truly wild three weeks in Hannover, including a hair-raising Carnival night. Visiting my brother in Germany was 'the end of innocence'.

When I was 17, I visited Mohamed in London, and followed this by a visit to Saiid in Edinburgh. There was a hot competition between them regarding who would be able to convince me to leave the Medical School at Cairo University and go into engineering; civil, like Mohammed, or chemical, like Saiid. Mohammed did not offer other than advice. Saiid offered restocking my racing pigeons lofts from top Highlands breeders. I took Saiid's offer, but followed Mohammed's advice. and transferred my registration from Medical School to Civil Engineering, three weeks into the academic year Another visit to Mohammed at his South London apartment in Streatham HiIls had a another significant effect; I decided to pursue an academic career. This Was in 1973, the year my name appeared on a paper, with Mohammed, published in the Journal of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. It remains as the first journal paper on my curriculum vitae, notwithstanding that I do not understand a word in it, I followed in the footsteps of my eldest brother and pursued research in advanced structural engineering. In time, he cheated and moved to physics. At that juncture, we parted technical company; I could not possibly take the chances that he has taken, from the top of the structural engineering food-chain to a high-flying and accomplished physicist! I made excursions in strong-motion data analysis, but they were shy and terribly cautious, at least from my point of view. I gradually learned that Mohammed's abilities are not normal. He is a full-blown genius. I decided that my strategy is to stick to main-stream earthquake engineering, and claim sibling credit for my brother's extra-ordinary achievements.

Being Mohammed El Naschie's brother is a major responsibility! You are expected to be somewhat of a genius. which I certainly am not. OK, I still hold die dubious distinction of being the youngest full professor in Civil Engineering at Imperial College, London, and certainly the first, and hitherto the only, Middle Eastern full professor and Head of Section, I but how high this stacks up next, to the series of professor positions that Mohammed has piled up in four continents? As his brother, he expects extremely accurate and verifiable statements, even in assessing a restaurant or a new film! If one can attract praise from Mohammed, one has reached the Promise Land. Until this day, I am inspired along the route of 'publish or perish' by Mohamed's publication record (journal papers in the hundreds) and the story of Thomas Harriot. To those who do not know who he is; the majority of people, Harriot discovered the telescope months before Galileo Galili of Padova in 1609. But old Harriot did not publish the paper, only wrote a few comments in his private notebook. Galili, on the other hand, almost had the paper written, with gaps left for the results! The telescope is widely attributed to Galili, because of timely publication. I also learned from Mohammed to look beyond the obvious, and to make as few assumptions as possible, or at least this is what I thought he advised me to do! As I approach the big Five-0, I still seek Mohammed's advice, much to his dismay, because once he knows about a problem I am facing, he cannot walk away from it; this is his nature. Did I say complimentary things about my brother? I do not know, do not care, and I am sure neither does he. What I am sure of is that I said what I feel about him. Mohammed's re-emergence in my life around the year 2000, was one of the most profound events in the past 49 years. It took us about 20 years to work out that we are both well-meaning and that we love each other much. So. Happy Birthday my dear brother, and may we both celebrate your 80th birthday together.

Amr Elnashai (the correct spelling!)


Dear Mohamed,

my warmest congratulations to your 60th birthday. This is a great day for you and for all those who think with you and who feel with you. On the 10th of October our thoughts will be with you; our wishes: Keep your very good health, stay on your way, continue to give free rein to your fascinating ideas, we need you! Mohamed, in short, for the next 60 years: Let. us keep our friendship!

Together with my coworker Bernd Hils I wanted to prepare an experiment for your birthday. It is Hot ready in the moment, but, we will work on it, and I will show it to you, when you come next time to visit our lab. Garnet very kindly offered me that we can still publish it in a later issue.

It's on Berry's phase. You know, Berry's phase is one of these phenomena which are considered as a typical quantum-physical subject, nevertheless it played a roll [sic] in experimental optics already before quantum physics was discovered: so, in a way, it is a bridge between classical and quantum physics. I am very interested to learn your opinion.

Looking forward to experience a great birthday, with all my good wishes
sincerely yours
Werner [Werner Martienssen. He died January 29, 2010.]


Authors

REINT DE BOER, Institut für Mechanik, FB 10 - Bauwesen, liniversität Essen, 45117 Essen, Germany.

HANS H. DIEBNER is currently head of the Institute for Basic Research at the Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, Germany. He is trained in physics and received his doctoral degree in 1999 for his work on exactly reversible molecular dynamics simulations. He was supervised by Otto Rössler who teached him both producing chaos and to control it. During his post-doctoral position in the Institute for Medical Biometry in Tübingen Diebner applied his system theoretical skills to annual epidemiological modeling especially in the case of malaria tropica. He currently focuses on the modeling of cognitive systems and tries to bridge natural sciences, philosophy and arts.
Editor:
Hans H. Dielmer and Lehan Ramsay (Eds.). Hierarchies of Communication. Center for Art and Media. Karlsruhe 2003.
Hans H. Diebner (Ed.). Stadium generate zur Komplexitilt. Genista-Verlag, Tübigen 2001.
Hans H. Diebner, Timothy Druckrey, Peter Weibel (Eds.), Sciences of the Interface. Genista-Verlag, Tiibingen 2001.
Address: Center for Art and Media, Lorenzstr. 19, 76135 Karlsruhe, Germany. www diebner.de E-mail: hd@zkm.de

AMR ELNASHAI, Urbana, Illinois.

MOHAMED EL NASCHIE, Frankfurt Institute of Advanced Studios, Frankfurt, Germany and Dept. of Physics. University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt.

DAVID RITZ FINKELSTEIN teaches and studies physics at Georgia Institute of Technology and edits the International Journal of Theoretical Physics. His main work is to extend quantum logic to still deeper levels of physics. As byproducts of this main interest, he contributed to early work on the topology of the gravitational field, the concept of the black hole, the gauge theory of the electroweak interactions, and quantum theory. He is also working on an analysis of Albrecht Durer's engraving Melencholia I. His works in progress are posted at http://www.physics.gatech.edu/people/faculty/dfinkelstein.html
Address: School of Physics, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.

WALTER GREINER, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. of the Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main has made outstanding contributions to nuclear physics in Europe and world-wide over the past 4 decades. He has initiated and developed the theoretical understanding of a wide range of phenomena in nuclear physics, from nuclear structure (Rot-Vib model, Gneuss-Greiner model, giant resonances) and nuclear reactions, to the theory of strong quantum fields. His pioneering theoretical research hits stimulated many innovative ideas in the experimental and theoretical nuclear physics community.
He is one of the fathers of the highly successful German laboratory for basic research in heavy ion physics, GS1 in Darmstadt. His ideas (cold fusion valleys' and fragmentation theory) have driven the successful experimental search for very heavy nuclei (Z=107-112) from the early beginnings in the mid sixties to now.
He has pioneered and steered the development of the field of relativistic heavy ion collisions since 1973, which broke the ground for the physics justification and realisation of major experimental facilities World-wide, at the Berkeley BEVALAC, GSFs SIS, RHIC at Brookhaven National Lab.
His theoretical predictions have driven many of the large scale experimental collaborations to work on the formation of ultra dense, hot matter, resonance matter and strange matter.
Walter Greiner's early suggestions to study the properties of the nuclear equation of state via collective flow (bounce-off and squeeze-out ) and his subsequent developments of macroscopic and microscopic theories have brought the breakthrough to this field and to the resulting search for quark matter and exotic states of matter at CERN's SPS and the future LHC-accelerator.
During the last decade, Walter Greiner has made a number if important contributions to atomic cluster physics, which has numerous parallels with nuclear physics.
His internationally renowned textbooks, in particular the three volume monograph on 'Theoretical Nuclear Physics with the late Judah M. Eisenberg (Tel Aviv), with Elsevier, and the 17 volume series On Theoretical Physics' with Springer Verlag and Harri Deutsch Verlag, which appeared in 7 languages, have attracted generations of young students and postdocs into theoretical physics, worlil-wide.
Address: Institute for Theoretical Physics, Robert Mayer St. 10, D-60054, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. e-mail: greiner@th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de

GERARDO IOVANE, Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione e Matematica Applicata, Universita di Salerno, Italy, e-mail: iovane@diima.unisa.it

PAOLO GRIGOLINI is sharing his research time between the Center for Nonlinear Science of the University of North Texas and the Interdisciplinary Center for Complexity of the University of Pisa. The main goal of his research program is twofold. On one side, he has recently led a group of co-workers to the construction of an efficient technique of time series analysis, which detects the statistical properties of crucial events, either visible or invisible, i.e., either recorded or not. This technique of analysis is based on t he dynamic approach to anomalous diffusion, renewal and subordination, On the other side, he is studying intermittent effects produced by new material such as blinking quantum dots, aiming at making ostensible the limitations of the ordinary quantum mechanical approaches.
Address: Center for Nonlinear Science, University of North Texas, PO Box 311427, Denton, TX 76203-1427

FLORIAN GROND was born in Graz in 1975. He studied Chemistry in Graz, Leicester and Tübingen with a focus on complex system theory. Since 2001 he works in Karlsruhe in the Institute for basic research at the ZKM. His main interest is in the field between science (nonlinear dynamical systems) and art with an alternating focus. Parts of his work were exhibited in Madrid and Karlsruhe and Graz.
Address: Center for Art and Media, Lorenzstr. 19, 76135 Karlsruhe, Germany, www.sol-sol.de E-mail: grond@zkm.de

TOMASZ KAPITANIAIC's research covers wide range of different subjects of nonlinear dynamics as: Chaos, Stochastic Mechanics, Nonlinear Vibrations, Synchronization of Systems. He has authored 11 books, edited 4 conference proceedings and 8 journal special issues, 5 chapters in books, and over 120 papers and conference presentations. He acts as Editor-In-Chief of the Journal: Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, Associate Editor of Chaos. Solitons and Fractals and as co-editor in two other journals.
Address: Division of Dynamics, Technical University of Lodz, Stefanowskiego 1/15, 90-924 Lodz, Poland.

HELMUT KROGER teaches physics at Laval University in Québec, Canada. He works in theoretical and computational physics in the domain of cosmology, condensed matter, quantum chaos, neural networks and computational neuroscience.
Address: Département de Physique, Université Laval, Quebec, Quebec G1K 7P4, Canada. E-mail: hkroger@phy.ulaval.ca

WERNER MARTIENSSEN, Physikalisches Institut der Universitat Frankfurt am Main, Robert Mayer Strasse 2-4, D-60054 Frankfurt/M, Germany. E-mail: Martienssen@Physik.uni-frankfurt.de

LAURENT NOTTALE is currently a Directeur de Recherche at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France) and he works at the Paris Observatory. He contributed to works in extragalactic astrophysics and cosmology, studying in particular gravitational lensing. His main interest is now in the foundation and the development of the theory of fractal space-time and scale-relativity (which is based on non-differentiable geometry) and in its applications to various sciences, including physics, astrophysics and sciences of life. Author: L. Nottale, Fractal Space-Time and Microphysics: Toward a Theory of Scale Relativity (347 pp). World Scientific, Singapore 1993.
L. Nottale, L'Univers et la Lmnière: cosmologie et. mirages gravitationnels (288 pp). Flammarion, Nouvelle Bibliothèque Scientifique. Paris 1994. L. Nottale, La Relativité dans tons ses Etats : Au delà de l'Espace-Temps (319 pp). Hachette, Paris 1998.
L. Nottale.1. Chaline, P. Cron, Les arbres de l'évolution: Univers, Vie, Socéit& (379 pp.) Hachette. Paris 2000.
Address: LUTH, Observatoire de Paris-Meudon, F-92I95, Mouton Cedex, France. URI.: http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/~nottale E-mail: laurent.nottale@obsprn.fr

GARNET N. ORD, Dept. of Mathematics, Ryerson University. Toronto. Ont. Canada., M5132K3

OTTO E. ROSSLER. born 1940 in Berlin, studied medicine in Tübingen. After receiving his doctorate in 1966, Rössler was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Behavioral Physiology in Seewiesen. Since 1970 he is a professor at the University of Tübingen where he teaches nonlinear dynamics, dissipative structures, chaos theory, mental equations, fundamental physics, endophysias, and deductive biology at the Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry. He was a visiting professor at many international universities and hell lectures in several countries. He has published over 300 scientific works on artificial life anti artificial brains; on bifurcation, differentiable mechanisms, chaos attractants, hyperchaos, endophysics, micro-relativity, and computer interfaces, as well as works on Anaxagoras, Descartes, Lebniz, Boscovich and Kant — and a recent work on the Internet project "Lainpsacus." Rossler co-edited numerous scientific journals. He wrote and co-alit hored munerous books such as: '"Endophysics: The World of the Internal Observer", "Jonas' World- (1994), "The Flaming Sword or How Hermetic is the Interface of Microconstructivism?" (1996).
Address: Division of Theoretical Chemistry, University of Tübingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 8, 72076 Tübingen. F.R.Germany

B.G. SIDHARTH, the Founder Director of the B.M. Birla Science Centre, Hyderabad has been working on his model of Fuzzy Spacetime and fluctuations. The resultant cosmology correctly predicts a dark energy driven acceleration by observation. His work also points to the reconciliation of gravitation and electromagnetism and provides a mass spectrum for all known elementary particles. It not only deduces the otherwise empirically known so called large number relations, considering to be accidents but also gives a description of gravitation that explains the mystery of the Weinberg formula which links microphysical parameters to large scale parameters.
Address: Centre for Applicable Mathematics& Computer Sciences, B.M. Bide Science Centre, Marsh Nagar, Hyderabad - 500 063 (India).

ANDREY SOLOV'YOV currently heads a group at the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies and focuses on theoretical studies of complex molecular systems, such as atomic clusters (tiny pieces of matter consisting of just tens or hundreds of atoms), biomolecules (amino-acids, proteins, antibiotics), nanostructures deposited on a surface. He tries to find answers to wide-ranging questions in multi-atom systems, which concern the principles of matter self- organization, self-assembling and functioning on the nanoscale. The description of nonrelativistic or relativistic many-electron systems using quantum ab-initio and model approaches is another topic of his research. The limier- standing of structure and dynamics of mesoscopic systems like atomic clusters and macromolecules lies at the heart of a large variety of problems at the forefront of physics, chemistry and biology. Research conducted by Prof. Dr. A.V.Solov'yov contributes to a number of these fields.
He has developed a variety of new theoretical methods allowing detailed theoretical description of the electronic and ionic structure of complex multi-atomic systems, which have been utilized for studying metal and noble gas clusters, fullerenes and bio-molecules. Also, the dynamic properties of these systems manifesting themselves in collision processes as well as in fission and fusion processes have been investigated. He has predicted a new type of undulator radiation, the so-called crystalline undulator radiation, which is generated by a motion of charged particles through a periodically bent crystal. It was demonstrated that the crystalline undulator can he used as a new, powerful source of high-frequency monochromatic electromagnetic radiation of a free-electron laser type. He has developed the most advanced theory of the polarizational bremsstrahlung radiation emitted by many-electron systems, such as many-electron atoms, complex molecules and clusters, due to their polarization in collision processes.



Related posts:



Translate English to Arabic
محمد النشائى El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائى محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائى
StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

  1. Isn't Grigolini one of the new editors of CSF? I guess they didn't clean out the Naschieites after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, he is. And he also published in the old CSF under the Great Man a lot. Have a look at his official bibliography:

    http://www.phys.unt.edu/FACULTY/Grigo.htm

    8 articles in CSF just in 2004? He seems to be one of the Great Man's favored acolytes (to quote Jason).

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.phys.unt.edu/FACULTY/Grigo.htm

    Yup, that's the very Grigolini. Shrink is quoting me from the Introduction to Mohamed El Naschie where I said favored acolytes of the Great Man got to publish in CSF without real peer review. To be fair to Grigolini, I don't know if that's true in his case. Perhaps his papers deserve a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably Grisolini's papers are not numerological crap as the articles produced by the E-infinity group, but for sure nearly half (8 of 17) of his articles from 2004 published in a journal with dubious standards regarding peer-review ring a bell.

    ReplyDelete