Thursday, August 19, 2010

El Naschie continues: The Jew who taught me


El Naschie's Rosa Al-Youssef column is up for Friday August 20. Here's the original Arabic. This is a continuation of yesterday's post, El Naschie the time-traveller. My machine-assisted, human-polished translation appears below.





I speak German fluently but I was very weak in English, so I grew close to my Romanian professor Thomas Barta [see bottom of page]. He had no children and I was like a son to him. He taught me endless Jewish Romanian things about history, philosophy, art and literature, as well as the history of science and engineering. We travelled together and didn't do anything without each other. We had a discussion about Israel and he said he was not a Zionist, but was unwilling to change the Jewish identity of Israel. I was sad because I loved him and he loved me to the highest degree; but God damn the Arab-Israeli conflict, this father-son conflict. We parted ways for more than ten years and then Barta died. [El Naschie's dramatic claims of closeness or mentor-student status usually cannot be checked since the other party is dead, as in this case. Other examples: Ilya Prigogine, Hermann Bondi, John Kenneth Galbraith.]

I cried when I heard the news. My beloved professor didn't know the extent of my grief at the estrangement between us. He was the victim of the lies of the Zionists. The conflict is absurd and has no basis in religion or race, but from my point of view comes from capitalist greed, human trafficking, mass expulsion of inhabitants, and selling of land to outsiders for billions.

Uri Avnery who wrote his book at the beginning of the sixties [1968, actually] is an old man now but still a hero among the heroes of the Peace Now movement in Israel.

The man was ahead of his time in the sixties and his ideas were radical for both Israelis and Arabs. He believed in a peaceful Middle East and a secular state of Israel inhabited by Jewish, Christian and Muslim on an equal footing.

We must not forget that Muslims and Christians are the indigenous people who are the overwhelming majority and speak all the same Arabic language, while Jews are mostly from Russia, Poland and many other European countries. I do not want to get into a debate on this point. It is sufficient to advise the reader to see the film «Saladin» by Egyptian director Khaled Youssef Chahine, as well as a foreign film on this issue presented in Egypt three years ago, «Kingdom of Heaven». But before I go back to my main theme, which is the possibility of a political state of Israel without the ideas of Zionism, I wish to summarize my relationship with my Jewish professors, who impacted my life and my culture along with Dr. Thomas Barta.

I want to speak first about the delightful Hermann Bondi, scientific adviser to Margaret Thatcher and head of Churchill College at Cambridge, in addition to being one of the founders of the theory of the universe. And finally, Dr. Ilya Prigogine, Nobel Laureate in science [sic. chemistry, 1977], who encouraged me to focus on my unified theory of fundamental forces in physics.

And complete the day after tomorrow [because there is no Saturday Rosa column]...




We must figure out who Dr. Thomas Parrilla (or Dr. Thomas Arta, or possibly Dr. Thomas Arta Humacao) is! Arabic: توماس بارتا

UPDATE: Shrink's detective work has identified El Naschie's Jewish Romanian teacher as Thomas A. Barta and the translation above is re-written to reflect that. Here is a paper by Barta, which, like El Naschie's lost doctoral thesis, is about buckling. El Naschie is not cited or mentioned.

View this on Scribd

Shrink found this document in Romanian. Google translate gives some info on Barta:

Ph.D Professor Thomas Barta - University College. London, UK - by 1990 close collaboration with the Department of Civil Engineering Polytechnic University of Timisoara, 1999 "Honorary Professor" of the Polytechnic University of Timisoara.



Translate English to Arabic
محمد النشائى El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائى محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائى
StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

  1. I took some effort but I think I've figured out.

    I've tried several translators and this one:

    http://translation.babylon.com/arabic/

    gave "Thomas Barta".

    I've googled for that name (+Romania) and found this article:

    http://www.springerlink.com/content/6kgxt2q175948621/

    http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=6kgxt2q175948621&size=largest

    which states:

    "and Thomas Barta brought from Romania a considerable reputation in shell theory and buckling"

    I've googled for "Thomas Barta buckling" then and found:

    http://www.apcmr.ro/Rec_Advances_Gioncu/Barta.pdf

    which indicates it is the right guy, apparently, as he was an Emeritus Reader at the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, University College London (UCL).

    It seems the Great Man was indeed somehow connected to this guy whose field of research (shell theory, buckling) was the same as Great Man's thesis topic.

    I couldn't find any biography for Thomas Barta but based on the bibliography in the pdf above he was at UCL in the years (70s) when the Great Man was doing his PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are a search wizard. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx. After all, it's not a big cake for the Mossad, isn't it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some info on Barta (google translation from Romanian):

    "Ph.D Professor Thomas Barta - University College. London, UK - by 1990 close collaboration with the Department of Civil Engineering Polytechnic University of Timisoara, 1999 "Honorary Professor" of the Polytechnic University of Timisoara."

    http://www.upt.ro/prof_on.php

    ReplyDelete