Saturday, August 28, 2010

Itamar Procaccia and Michiel Kolman

Recall the following quote of El Naschie from Thrilling conclusion of the Jewish scientists saga:


I must mention that there is a lot of racism and Zionist thinking in Israel. Not everyone in Israel, for example Uri Avnery and my colleague Professor Itamar Procaccia of the Weizmann Institute in Israel with whom I have participated in several attempts to reconcile the ideas of peace in the Middle East with the grim realities on the ground.


I exchanged several emails with Procaccia. He has a low scientific opinion of El Naschie, as we shall see. Nonetheless he clearly has a soft spot for the great man, based on what Procaccia calls El Naschie's "true Semitic generosity" to Procaccia in the time of the Gulf War (1990-91), when an Iraqi scud missile destroyed his father's house. In gratitude Procaccia accepted an Honorary Editorship of Chaos, Solitons and Fractals (CSF) in 1992. Procaccia was vague about just what El Naschie did to make him so grateful, in spite of my request for details.

I wrote back to him, in part:

It is disconcerting to me that a serious scientist like you gives a crackpot like El Naschie a pass for his nonsense science, numerological maundering, and impact factor fraud. Perhaps you just don't know about him. Perhaps you accepted him uncritically because he won you over with his sonorous peace-babble and Semitic generosity whatever that means. I can understand sympathizing with a friend and a kindred spirit. But it is important for you know that scientifically, he's a con man. A crook.


And his reply began with this paragraph:

I do NOT believe a word of Mohammed's science. I know that he is a complete crook science wise. You can check with Michiel Kolman who is the vice president of elsevier that I talked to him about this many times over the last 10 years, and they asked me several times to take the journal over from Mohamed, which of course I could not do.




On August 25 I emailed Kolman, whose contact information is easy to obtain since he's a VP and press liaison for Elsevier. Here is most of what I said:

Prof. Itamar Procaccia suggested I contact you. Here is what he told me: "I do NOT believe a word of Mohamed's science. I know that he is a complete crook science wise. You can check with Michiel Kolman who is the vice president of elsevier that I talked to him about this many times over the last 10 years, and they asked me several times to take the journal over from Mohamed, which of course I could not do."

Prof. Procaccia was of course referring to Dr. Mohamed El Naschie, founding editor of the Elsevier journal Chaos, Solitons and Fractals (CSF). As you know, Elsevier fired the entire editorial board on March 16.

Procaccia has been a friend of El Naschie since 1992 or earlier, and clearly has warm feelings for him, despite El Naschie's grotesque charlatanry. In one of my emails to Procaccia I said "Do you know he photoshopped an intimate scene of himself with three Nobel laureates and featured it prominently on his home page? Do you know he claims to deserve a physics Nobel several times over, but hasn't won because scheming Zionists at your own Weizmann Institute won't allow it to be won by an Arab Muslim named Mohamed? Do you know he has no degree in math or physics, not even an undergraduate one? Do you know he claims to be a professor, but isn't? Do you know that he falsely claims to be a coauthor of Nobel laureate Ilya Prigogine?" Procaccia does know all that but remains friendly with El Naschie nonetheless! That astonishes me. And it astonishes me that he would voluntarily lend his good name as Honorary Editor to a journal run by a man he calls a "complete crook science wise" on the basis of that friendship.

El Naschie told of his friendship with Procaccia in this article in Arabic, which is how I came to contact Procaccia. My translation of the article into English, with commentary, you can read here.

Did you ask Procaccia several times to take over from Mohamed, as he says? If so, why? Well, I think I know why, but I would like to know from your perspective.

When do you expect the first issue of the re-launched CSF to appear? I keep checking the Web site and no issue has appeared since Volume 42, Issue 5 (15 December 2009). Has CSF been getting and accepting enough submissions to make it viable going forward?


So far, Kolman has not responded.

Translate English to Arabic
محمد النشائى El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائى محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائى
StumbleUpon.com

5 comments:

  1. El Naschie's Rosa Al-Youssef column is up for Sunday August 29. Hegel and the Arab-Israeli conflict. Original Arabic or Google's English.

    El Naschie analyzes the Arab-Israeli conflict using dialectic concepts of philosopher Friedrich Hegel. There is name dropping as usual. Karl Marx. Bertrand Russell. Ilya Prigogine. Alfred North Whitehead. Noam Chomsky. He mistakenly calls Edward Said "the great man".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off topic, but please note the few-minutes-old comment from Antonio on Those Hidden Pressgazette Comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to give look at this article of the great man
    http://www.msel-naschie.com/work-nanotechnology.cfm#images/nano/fig2.jpg

    The great man explained how nano-technology could be related to E-infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. El Naschie's Rosa Al-Youssef column is up for Monday August 30. Two-state solution. Original Arabic or Google's English.

    El Naschie says he doesn't know if a two-state solution is the answer, maybe it's a step in the right direction, but he knows Israel has to stop being racist and religiously intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticed this. Antonio's Pressgazette comment uses a backtick for an apostrophe.

    ReplyDelete