Tuesday, November 23, 2010

El Naschie on D.D. Guttenplan (part 1)

(Part 2 is here.)
El Naschie's Rosa Al-Youssef column is up for Wednesday, November 24. The New York Times and half-truths. Original Arabic or Google's English translation. Here it is with some manual cleanup by me. This is one of the most important Rosa columns ever, so I ask that Arabic readers make sure I haven't messed it up too badly:




I wondered a bit when I read an article or investigative journalism piece in the big American newspaper The New York Times on 14 November of this year concerning the classification of universities. Mr D.D. Guttenplan had earlier contacted me from Paris to ask my opinion of the subject and I felt at the outset it was a trap of the kind where you at first feel you are at home among friends and loved ones and suddenly find the house isn't your own but taken over by media clowns. After thinking about it I decided I should answer in writing and not on the phone as he wanted.

I told him that all these university classifications are nothing more than propaganda and totally worthless for developing countries, and as I explained to him there is a case brought by me against the scientific journal «Nature», and I explained to him about the University of Alexandria, which appears to have been the main reason he contacted me.

I persuaded myself that Mr. «Guttenplan» would not write the article but if he did it would be fair to the University of Alexandria and to me personally.

The reason for this belief was my unsuspicious nature and also because the journalist called me first and gave me a deadline to respond, and when I told him I generally do not like journalists, opportunists and the unscrupulous his reply was polite, asking me to have confidence in him.

So I was disappointed when I found he had published an article -- if not exactly hostile to the truth -- nonetheless unfair to Alexandria University, not to mention the lack of precision in the information and the expression of information in it.

Indeed we can say that what is being said regarding the University of Alexandria's prestigious classification to which the rank «174» [147?] was attached because of my honorary affiliation with Alexandria University, Faculty of Science - Department of Physics - this is nonsense and cheap clowning, for obvious reasons that I will explain more in this article. And I hope that readers will understand also that the article claims that the number 320 [self-published CSF papers] of my research papers swung the balance of power in favor of the University of Alexandria, which is something that is generally acceptable to the University, to be rated high as a result of scientific effort in the published literature for one person.

The reality, of course is completely different from that. I posted in my life nearly a thousand [!] scientific articles and literary and philosophical articles, of these articles there are nearly 600 scientific articles and of this number there are probably half in Engineering Science and Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, and the rest about science in quantum theory unifying forces, and the physics of higher energies, in addition to nuclear science and engineering as well as the technology of reactors and «Nanotechnology» [see below].

If there is any accurate estimate it's perhaps 300 research papers published in physics in the last twenty years about the time that I turned from engineering and engineering sciences to physical science theory. Note that I am basically an engineer. I was not involved in physics or mathematics except as one of my hobbies, although the most important; and I love my hobbies. They are most important to me. Especially after I decided to retire at the age of nearly forty, relatively early compared to most of my distinguished colleagues.

300 papers in about 20 years. This means 15 papers annually in any kind of research, or at most two papers per month. And this rate is above average in the Middle East because of circumstances known to most universities here but normal rate or even far below normal for advanced European countries and of course for the United States and Japan.

Continued tomorrow [as I have anticipated with "part 1" in the title].




There is so much baloney that I dare not mark it all with red interjections lest the article become unreadable. He seems unaware that his assertions about his publication record can easily be checked by anyone with an Internet connection.

I know of only one paper about "the technology of reactors", a nonsense E-infinity paper; and one about "nanotechnology", a policy paper, not a science paper: Nanotechnology for the developing world. CS&F v.30 (2006) pp 769-773.

Posts about D.D. Guttenplan:


Translate English to Arabic
محمد النشائى El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائى محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائى
StumbleUpon.com

7 comments:

  1. Zahy, I think you will agree the great man is not boring today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, definitely I agree

    ReplyDelete
  3. > Jason Nov 18, 2010 6:49 PM said
    Where do you think he got the great man's email address?


    Don David G. clearly called and asked for it.

    > He seems unaware that his assertions about his publication record

    Recall from Anonymous Sep 21, 2010 7:04 PM, in 2008 he claimed "some 400" publications in his early 1999 CV, and in 2008 "more than 500 in www.sciencedirect.com" (Science Direct had only 346 listed as of Apr 2010).
    It is of course possible that he has many publications in venues not counted by Science Direct, although that wouldn't quite explain the new count of nearly "600 scientific articles ... half in Engineering Science and Mechanics and Applied Mathematics". Does he think that Engineering isn't counted in Science Direct?
    Search at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ brings up a grand total of 10 engineering articles, from '74 through '90, and it is true that half of those ten did not show up in the sciencedirect search here: Anon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 AM, but where are the rest of the 300 engineering articles?

    And where are the 400 "literary and philosophical articles" bringing the total to 1000? (Has he had other newspaper columns?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The reality, of course is completely different from that. I posted in my life nearly a thousand [!] scientific articles and literary and philosophical articles, of these articles there are nearly 600 scientific articles "


    I can only think of three possibilities:

    1. The great man has never heard of ISI, sciencedirect, scopus, or any other citation database and that's why he feels secured about this flat-out lie.
    2. The great man has published 300 non-citable documents in engineering, possibly in unknown conferences. (I have no clue about where we can find those 400 philosophical articles).
    3. The great man is counting Rosa Al Yousef columns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ScienceDirect only contains articles published by Elsevier, by the way. It is not a general all(in theory)-inclusive database like Thomson-Reuters' (formerly ISI's) Web of Science or its newer and less-reliable competitor -- the Scopus database.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am aware of that... but thanks for the info anyway

    ReplyDelete
  7. > It is not a general all(in theory)-inclusive database like Thomson-Reuters' (formerly ISI's) Web of Science

    Thomson-Reuters' Web of Science shows only 293 articles by El Naschie (8 of them misclassified under "El NaschLe"), searching all of the Science Citation index (SCI-expanded), the Social Science Citation index (SSCI), and the Arts & Human Citation index (A&HCI). The years of publication are as follows:
    1998 22
    1999 19
    2000 22
    2001 23
    2002 9
    2003 9
    2004 16
    2005 42
    2006 30
    2007 26
    2008 58
    2009 17

    So WoS misses everything before 1998 (the journals in which his articles appeared were not sufficiently reputable to be included in their index?)

    > has published 300 non-citable documents in engineering, possibly in unknown conferences

    a plausible conjecture, of course impossible to verify...

    ReplyDelete