Sunday, December 26, 2010

El Naschie urges unity, congratulates Mubarak



Zeinobia of Egyptian Chronicles critiques Mubarak's speech, and has photos. She shares one of our readers' exasperation with Mubarak's "let them have fun" dismissal of the opposition parallel parliament, comparing it to Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake".


El Naschie's Rosa Al-Youssef column is up for Monday, December 27. Future Memories. Original Arabic or Google's English translation. Here is my translation based on Google and Bing:




Unfortunately I saw only excerpts of the historic speech of the President to the People's Assembly on TV. I am in England. How I wished I was in Cairo to see such unity and cohesion as has not existed for a long time. One intellectual among my friends and colleagues told me, regarding French disunity, this quote from the great French President General Charles De Gaulle, saying rhetorically "How can you control people who eat 200 different types of cheese?" That is true about the French people airing their differences of opinion and passionate political debate. Perhaps it was the reason for their defeat in the First and Second World Wars to the Germans who loved obedience and execution of orders. But the situation changed when the German army entered Paris. De Gaulle fought from outside of France until the expulsion of the last German soldier from his homeland, and the defeated France joined Britain, America and Russia in the occupation of Germany, which was defeated in the end.

Anyway I invite all my friends and all the intellectuals to come together in unity. The day will arrive, God willing, when Egypt has half the per capita income France does; and will produce a mere hundred kinds of cheese so that the people may choose what kind they want. Until then I think it's my right to remember the past, look to the future, and congratulate the Egyptian people and the President of National Unity. And I pray we move forward under one flag, toward a tomorrow with science and peaceful nuclear energy as referred to by Mr. President Hosni Mubarak in his historic speech.

Translate English to Arabic
محمد النشائى El Naschie Watch محمد النشائي El Naschie News محمد النشائى محمد النشائي All El Naschie All The Time محمد النشائى
StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment